This past Sunday at SSCC, Dunker, AKA David Yarborough gave a sermon entitled Speaking Life: The Power of the Blessing. The following notes are directly from his sermon. He told the story of Jacob and Esau and the historical, cultural, and biblical importance of a Blessing. It could the be father’s blessing of the first born son and his birth rite. Another example was the high priest’s Blessing in Numbers. Numbers 6:22-26 And the Lord spoke to Moses saying: “Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying, “this is the way shall bless the children of Irael. Say to them: “The Lord Bless you and keep you; The Lord make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.”
Blessing – Imparting divine favor of God into the life of another through the power of the spoken word and loving touch.
Prayer – Talking to God on someone’s behalf.
Blessing – Speaking life and blessing to someone on God’s Behalf.
The biblical patriarchs believed the blessing had Power to help set the course of their decedent’s legacy. (Hebrews 11:20
Bless with words of favor, speak life into aspects of character, and call out their greatness.
FATHERS….. i urge you to take a moment and speak blessins over your children, your family, and Wife.
12 Powerful Verses to Pray Over Your Children
- STRENGTH: Pray that God gives them the strength to do what they need to do each day. Philippians 4:13
- COURAGE: Pray that they will be brave as they face the challenges that are before them. Joshua 1:9
- Peace: Ask thate their hearts will be calm and peaceful as they go through their day and in their sleep at night. Philippians 4:6
- Provision: Ask God to provide for all that they need – for stamina, spirit, finances – for each day. Philippians 4:19
- Direction: Pray that the Lord will lead them as they begin to make more and more decisions as they get older. Proverbs 3:3-5
- Protection: Ask that God keep them safe in this increasingly unsafe world. That He protect them from harm and wickedness. Psalm 91:1-2
- Joy: Pray that God fills them with the kind of joy that can only come from Him. Psalm 16:11
- Compassion: Pray that they will show compassion on those in need and who have less than they do. Ephesians 4:32
- Justice: Ask God to give them a sense of Justice – to stand up for what is right and to defend the weak. Isaiah 1:17
- Wisdom: Pray that they will grow in wisdom and understanding. That they will be more than “smart” and embrace what is good and right James 1:5
- Hope: Ask God to give them the hope that comes from above – the kind that far exceeds what we have in the here and now.
- Love: Pray that our children are filled with the love of God. That they will know how deeply they are loved, and that the love will overflow onto others. 2 Corinthians
Lastly…….Friends: Pray for Godly friendships who build up and encourage your child. A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. Proverbs 17:17
Brother’s that’s why we wake up at 4 in the morning…. because the bonds we have forged in the gloom are born FOR times of adversity. I Pray God’s limitless and bountiful blessing pour over and into each of you.